1. a naturally formed or excavated hole or cavity in the ground: pits caused by erosion; clay pits.
2. a covered or concealed excavation in the ground, serving as a trap.
3. Mining. an excavation made in exploring for or removing a mineral deposit, as by open-cut methods. the shaft of a coal mine. the mine itself.
4. the abode of evil spirits and lost souls; hell: an evil inspiration from the pit.
5. the pits, Slang. an extremely unpleasant, boring, or depressing place, conditio
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.