1. to yearn deeply; suffer with longing; long painfully (often followed by for): to pine for one's home and family.
2. to fail gradually in health or vitality from grief, regret, or longing (often followed by away): Separated by their families, the lovers pined away.
3. Archaic. to be discontented; fret. verb (used with object), pined, pining.
4. Archaic. to suffer grief or regret over. noun
5. Archaic. painful longing.
"spaniels can be pining."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.