1. a gloomy state of mind, especially when habitual or prolonged; depression.
2. sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness.
3. Archaic. the condition of having too much black bile, considered in ancient and medieval medicine to cause gloominess and depression. black bile. adjective
4. affected with, characterized by, or showing melancholy; mournful; depressed: a melancholy mood.
5. causing melancholy or sadness; saddening: a melancholy occasion.
6. soberly tho
"people can be melancholy after openings."
"nudes can be melancholy in colours."
"people can be melancholy."
"expressions can be melancholy."
"thoughts can be melancholy."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.