1. a substance, as yeast or baking powder, that causes fermentation and expansion of dough or batter.
2. fermented dough reserved for producing fermentation in a new batch of dough.
3. an element that produces an altering or transforming influence. verb (used with object)
4. to add leaven to (dough or batter) and cause to rise.
5. to permeate with an altering or transforming element.
"societies can be leavened."
"respectabilities can be leavened."
"learnings can be leavened."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.