1. a black or dark-brown combustible mineral substance consisting of carbonized vegetable matter, used as a fuel.
Compare anthracite, bituminous coal, lignite.
2. a piece of glowing, charred, or burned wood or other combustible substance.
3. charcoal (def 1).
verb (used with object)
4. to burn to coal or charcoal.
5. to provide with coal.
verb (used without object)
6. to take in coal for fuel.
7. heap coals of fire on someone's head, to repay evil with good
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.