1. on the contrary; yet: My brother went, but I did not.
2. except; save: She was so overcome with grief she could do nothing but weep.
3. unless; if not; except that (followed by a clause, often with that expressed): Nothing would do but that I should come in.
4. without the circumstance that: It never rains but it pours.
5. otherwise than: There is no hope but by prayer.
6. that (used especially after doubt, deny, etc., with a negative): I don't doubt but he wi
"underminings can be buts."
"newses can be buts."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.