1. balk. balk or baulk [bawk] /bɔk/ Spell Syllables verb (used without object)
1. to stop, as at an obstacle, and refuse to proceed or to do something specified (usually followed by at): He balked at making the speech.
2. (of a horse, mule, etc.) to stop short and stubbornly refuse to go on.
3. Baseball. to commit a balk. verb (used with object)
4. to place an obstacle in the way of; hinder; thwart: a sudden reversal
"officials can be baulk at integrations."
"employers can be baulk at things."
"officials can be baulk."
"employers can be baulk."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.