1. to stop, as at an obstacle, and refuse to proceed or to do something specified (usually followed by at): He balked at making the speech.
2. (of a horse, mule, etc.) to stop short and stubbornly refuse to go on.
3. Baseball. to commit a balk. verb (used with object)
4. to place an obstacle in the way of; hinder; thwart: a sudden reversal that balked her hopes.
5. Archaic. to let slip; fail to use: to balk an opportunity. noun
6. a check or hindrance
"investors can be balking by traders."
"investors can be balking at levels."
"investors can be balking."
"horses can be balking."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.