1. to reduce in amount, degree, intensity, etc.; lessen; diminish: to abate a tax; to abate one's enthusiasm.
2. Law. to put an end to or suppress (a nuisance). to suspend or extinguish (an action). to annul (a writ).
3. to deduct or subtract: to abate part of the cost.
4. to omit: to abate all mention of names.
5. to remove, as in stone carving, or hammer down, as in metalwork, (a portion of a surface) in order to produce a figure or patt
"backs can be abated."
"assurances can be abated."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.