1. to be a source of sharp, local, and usually superficial pain, as a wound.
2. to be the cause of a sharp, stinging pain, as an irritating application, a blow, etc.
3. to feel a sharp, stinging pain, as in a wound.
4. to suffer keenly from wounded feelings: She smarted under their criticism.
5. to feel shame or remorse or to suffer in punishment or in return for something. verb (used with object)
6. to cause a sharp pain to or in. adjective, smarter,
"people can be smart without things."
"wrens can be smart in uniforms."
"trains can be smart for whiles."
"thrifts can be smart in cashs."
"societies can be smart about uses."
This list can help you learn new vocabulary more quickly and be able explore other words more easily.